Castelfranco means “Castle duty-free”. The fortified structure enclosing the historical town center was built by Treviso Commune in 1195 near the border with Padua and Vicenza as military defense. Nowadays it is still surrounded by its intact medieval walls with the 43 meters (141 ft.) tall Clock Tower. Inside the small castle-town, the famous painter Giorgione was born is the house holding its museum, next to the cathedral dedicated to St. Mary and St. Liberal containing his refined masterpiece called “Pala del Giorgione”. Not far from it, the 18th century Accademic Theatre is a small neoclassical jewel still in use worth a visit.